Today's post is not about my anxiety but rather about Will's newfound separation anxiety. I counted myself pretty lucky that Will never really went through any phases of separation anxiety. From the beginning he's been pretty laid back about being away from us. Once we decided I would stay at home with him, I took active steps to help in this, but I'm sure it's mostly just his personality. Either way, he has always been pretty secure spending the weekend with his grandparents, hanging out at Childwatch at the YMCA or going to Mother's Day Out once a week. About a week ago a flip switched--Will now doesn't want to be left anywhere and has been increasingly attached to his bear, blankie and paci. Luckily though he usually adjusts within a few minutes and doesn't cry the entire time or anything, so I guess I should probably still consider myself lucky!
Most people I mention it to think that he is aware that his world is about to change or it may just be a phase he was going to go through at this age no matter what, but either way, it kills me as a parent to know that while he is feeling insecure we will be leaving him for a few days, potentially in the middle of the night (in which case he'd have to wake up to find us gone). I've heard lots of stories about moms getting shunned for days by their older child after having a baby, so hopefully that won't happen--I'm not sure if I could take that. I know that when it's all said and done he will be fine, but boy was dropping off my crying baby this morning tough for this hormonal momma!
In baby news, I had my 38 1/2 week appointment today, and I have made some progress! I'm about 2 cm. dialated but barely starting to efface (if you don't know what this means, maintain your innocence in this department!), so my doctor thinks it might be another week or so. Either way I was happy to hear that my body is doing something, especially since I haven't been feeling any differently and haven't had any other signs of impending labor.
Unfortunately I have been really bad about picking up my camera, so no new pictures this time, but soon I will have TONS to post!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





I just found your blog and CAN'T BELIEVE you are already 38 1/2 weeks!!!! Where did the time go??? If it helps, Griffin went through major, major, major separation anxiety at 18 months. I can't remember how many months Will is now but if he is around 18 I hear that is when it can hit an all time peak! Hang in there. It gets better!
ReplyDelete