Monday, May 23, 2011

Catching up...

Please excuse me as I go back a few days, fill in some details, and generally just play catch up. Last Wednesday was Cate's birth day. We arrived at the hospital at 8 a.m. and my induction began a little after 9. By 1 o'clock I was at 3 cm, and my doctor broke my water to get things moving. He was due to come back a couple hours later and see how I was doing. Shortly after he left I went ahead and got my epidural since I was pretty much attached to the bed with IVs and monitoring anyways. At around 4 o'clock my doctor had not made it back yet, so another doctor at the hospital checked me. I was expecting to be a 6 or 7 or something like that, but to our surprise I was completely ready to go and the doctor could actually already see Cate's head. Within about 15 minutes they got the room ready to go and my doctor sped over from his office and we were ready to go. Unlike with Will (think 2 hours of pushing and a forceps delivery), Cate was delivered in less than 5 minutes. It was all very surreal, and I was in shock for quite awhile that it all happened so fast. I think the big man upstairs wants me to have more children because another L&D like Will's and I might have given that question lots of thought. ;-)



Here are a few pictures of Cate's first sponge bath while we were in the hospital











More pictures from the hospital and our trip home on Friday afternoon













Today Cate had her first week weight check with our pediatrician. She weighs 7 pounds 2 ounces (50th percentile) and measured 20 inches long (75th percentile). Her head circumference is 13 3/4 inches (75th percentile). Since she received her Hepatitis B shot in the hospital, we had no shots today. We'll head back next week for her two week check up.





We started a little tummy time today with Cate and she didn't like it too much. Cate is definitely a little cuddle bug because when I put her on my shoulder/chest after feedings, she curls up like a little koala bear and buries her face whereas Will was always trying to pick his head up and look around (super active from day 1 and has not slowed down since).

In Will news, Billy and I got to watch Will discover his shadow yesterday. The lights in our bedroom were casting his shadow onto the door, and he noticed it. Next he started clapping his hands over his head and watching his shadow do the same thing. Next thing you know it he's hitting/high-fiving his shadow--it was so precious. These days he is really getting into puzzles and learning animal noises. Somewhere along the way he learned to "shush" people, and this morning he pretended to sleep in his carseat, fake snoring and all.

Overall he is still adjusting, but we're making progress. I bought Cate a purple paci, so Will wouldn't think she was taking his, and he now likes to try and put it in her mouth every time she cries.

Here's a quick pic of our little man making a mess out of a chili cheese hot dog!

3 comments:

  1. She is just adorable Jen!!! I can't wait to meet and cuddle her Friday! And of course Will is just too cute! So glad all went well and fast, she might have taken her time to be ready to come but when she did it went fast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear that this delivery was much easier for you. She is super precious and Will is going to be such a great helper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats again - she's gorgeous! jz

    ReplyDelete