Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Will's First Trip to the Dentist

This morning Will had his first dentist appointment. Considering his age, he was a champ! After picking out a Cars toothbrush, Will remained very calm while the dental hygienist brushed his teeth, flossed between the two of them that actually touch, and checked for plaque. His teeth looked great, so we got a thumbs up for our teeth brushing routine (and by "we" I mean Billy who brushes Will's teeth twice a day).

Next up was an x-ray of Will's front teeth to assess any potential damage from last weekend's fall. Will sat on Billy's lap and didn't mind the heavy x-ray cover he had to wear. By the time we finished all of this and the dentist herself came in to look at his teeth and talk to us, he had had enough of people messing with his mouth and wasn't too happy with her, but he mostly just fussed and didn't scream or bite her so I was happy with that. We talked to the dentist for a bit after that and Will went into the play area next to the exam room and hung out with the hygienist and the tech.

Prognosis--in 6 weeks we'll go back to do another x-ray, mostly to look at one of the two affected teeth. At that point they will be able to tell whether (i) the roots are healing properly (in which case nothing else has to be done) or (ii) his mouth is treating the tooth like a splinter and trying to rid itself of it. If the latter is the case, we'll have to decide whether to let him lose the tooth and be one tooth short until his permanent one comes in or try a root canal which may or may not work and would require Will to be put under general anesthesia. We're obviously hoping it doesn't come down to making that decision.

Here are a few pics (and yes, I was that mom)









In other news, today was also my 36 week appointment. The baby has not dropped at all which means no relief from occasional labored breathing and never ending heartburn, but on the bright side, none of the uncomfortableness that comes when the baby does drop. Apparently it's common for second babies not to drop until you go into labor. I go weekly from here on out. The clock is ticking, and I have to admit that I'm a little nervous about the upcoming labor and delivery. With Will I was blissfully ignorant. I mean, I took the childbirth class and all that, but you don't truly know what to expect because everyone's labor and delivery experience is so different. Ultimately a healthy baby is all that I pray for, so for better or for worse, I'm ready.

2 comments:

  1. Look at that champ sitting still in the big chair!!! I so hope all is well with his teeth though, hey if not most of my patients have silver teeth all the way around by 3 :)! J/K.
    Can't wait for the next four weeks to fly for baby Lepak #2! I know it will be a safe and quick delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Will was such a GOOD boy! Molly hates, hates, hates to: 1) sit still, and 2)have any one mess with her mouth. I am pretty sure she would have tried to chomp down on the dentist's fingers. I hope and pray that he heals just fine and also that you make it through these last few weeks with relative ease, and have a woderfully quick delivery!

    ReplyDelete