Thursday, July 3, 2014

And One More Makes Five

Yep, that's right, kiddo number three will be joining our family sometime on or around December 27th. I am now out of my first trimester and enjoying being out of the haze of crazy exhaustion and nausea.

When we told the kids a few weeks ago, their reactions were priceless. I so wish I had been recording it. Will immediately “ordered” a brother and said that on his last day of school (which was his next time he was to go to school) he was going to tell everyone at school (he didn't). He started talking about buying little baby shoes and boots and did his Mexican hat dance that he learned for his end-of-year program. Cate first wanted to see the baby and didn’t understand why she couldn’t (she kept saying “I don’t see a baby in your skin.”) Mostly she wanted to pat the baby.

After explaining that my stomach would get bigger as the baby grew, Will said, “Like if you ate too much?” He then proceeded to tell Billy that his belly was like he had a baby, but that he must have ate too much. A few minutes later he was sitting on my lap during storytime and said he thought the baby was kicking him. In true Cate fashion, she asked if the baby had a little head. When I said yes and that the baby had little tiny hands she proceeded to ask if the baby had “little polish.” (nail polish)

We told the kids a little earlier because we wanted them to be the ones to tell their grandparents. Surprising to us, Cate ended up being the spiller of the beans on this one. With no coaching to do so, she was secretly telling left and right as soon as she saw new family members. Everyone feigned lack of knowledge when Will told them the big news, so he was none the wiser.

Initially Will talked about a baby brother and Cate tends to refer to the baby as a she, but overall they seem content with the explanation that we will have to wait and see whether God chose to add a boy or a girl to our family. So yes, much to the disappointment of some, we will not be finding out the baby's gender again this time around.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! I love the kids' reactions. I'm with Will on this one and I say boy.

    ReplyDelete