Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Potty Post

So, the title of the post I was planning on writing today (and will still blog about shortly) was "We've Turned A Corner" and was going to be solely on Will's newest potty training advances, but before I get there, I must recount the insane poop explosion we had this morning...yes, if you're already grossed out this means you probably do not have children and might want to just skip this post...

I walked into the living room this morning to find Cate and Will playing. As I went to get Will dressed, I smelled a foul odor emanating from Cate. No biggie, I thought. I'll help him get dressed (giving her time to finish her business because no one wants to change two of those back to back--it's hard enough to get an active 17 month old to lay somewhat still to do it once) and then take care of her. After Will's shirt was on, Cate followed me into the other room fussing. It was not until after I picked her up that I realized the poop was coming up the top of her diaper and was on her pjs. Again, not a huge deal. I took her to our bathtub and put her in to start undressing her in a somewhat contained and cleanable area. It was halfway up her back. Seriously, how does that happen? It was only then that I realized she had reached back with her hands at some point prior to me picking her up and she had poop EVERYWHERE! It was mostly on herself (and now on me)--thankfully everyone and everything else was pretty much spared.

Luckily, Billy was in the shower and luckily Cate is not old enough yet for that to be totally weird for her (at least I don't think so...so many questions I don't know the answers to like that and when should Will and Cate not take a bath together?!?!). I'm pretty sure in the three years we have been parents neither Billy nor I have bathed with either of our children. Apparently people do this. I'm not judging, just definitely not for us. I rarely get to even use the restroom without "company" so I value my shower time! I digress...so, back to the story. We were desperate and Cate needed hosing off so in the shower she went after I got her wiped down as good as I could. Needless to say, it was a crazy morning. I share this story with you all not to gross you out but so that you can all have a good laugh and so that other parents out there can smile and say, "Well, I guess I'm not alone on this wild and sometimes bumpy ride called parenthood!"

Now back to my original post topic--Will's potty training advances. As of yesterday, Will began wearing big boy undies all day (pull ups during naps, just in case, and a diaper at night since some mornings he is dry and some morning his diaper is still pretty wet and frankly I prefer not to change his sheets daily). It has taken us a little more than 2 months to get to this point (slower than many kids I'm sure), but we seem to be there. I'm sure there will still be accidents here or there but it's progress. We are so proud of our big boy and can't wait to see him continue to learn and grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment