Friday, August 9, 2013

Will to the Rescue

Tuesday afternoon when I got home from work I loaded the kids up to go buy a few groceries. After about a 45 minute jaunt in Target, we headed to the car. I used the remote on my keychain to open the rear door. Both kids climbed in the back and over the back seat to their car seats (something I let them do on occasion) while I unloaded our stuff into the back of the car. I set my keys down in the back while I was unloading. You now know where this story is going. I closed the rear door and realized I didn't have my keys. I figured the back was still unlocked, just closed. Nope--apparently if you use the remote like that it doesn't unlock the rear door, just opens it.

I believe it was somewhere around 104 degrees that afternoon so I knew I had to figure this out fast. The kids were not buckled in yet so I told Will to climb into the driver's seat and pull up on the lock itself. It took him a few tries to pull the lock up, but he did it. Yay for Will! When I opened the door the alarm went off and I had to climb all the way to the back to get my keys and turn it off but at this point I did not care.

I was never so thankful that 1. Will listened to me the first time (we've had some listening/following directions issues lately), 2. the kids were perfectly fine, and 3. I didn't have to call the cops or break my car window in. Not the smoothest start to our three nights without Billy (he's out of town for work), but I'm happy to say it has all gone uphill from there!

While I'm writing, I'll go ahead and sum up our trip down south a couple weeks ago... The kids and I packed up and headed to El Campo for a four-day stay in lieu of our usual crazy fast trips. I am happy to report that this solo trip went MUCH better than our drive to LA. It was great to have some time in El Campo. Not only were the kids able to play with their Granny and Paw Paw but they had lots of playtime with their cousins. I was able to get in a nice kid-free visit with my Grandpa and a much-needed night out with some of my best girlfriends (more on that in a minute). Keith, Kristie and the kids had headed to Waller to stay at Jellystone Park, so we drove home the "country way" and made a stop to hang with them some more and let the kids swim. Will thought the little loft in their cabin was the coolest thing ever and he did not want to leave. I did bring a camera and literally took zero pictures. Here are a few Kristie took with hers.




Me and some of my favorite gals took a break from the hubbies and kiddos and spent some quality time in Sugar Land. Good food, a blow dry bar, a little shopping, and a drink or two were topped off by an evening at Pinot's Palette. This place was so much fun. Everyone gets a blank canvas and paint and you get step by step instructions to paint a certain picture (all the while sipping wine of course). Check out our finished products!


Now for a month (at least) in Dallas--after four weekends in a row there will be no more traveling for us for a little while!

No comments:

Post a Comment