Hi guys. I started a new tradition this past week. In an effort to make sure I carve out one-on-one time with each of my kids, I recently decided to have a weekly activity with each kid that they do just with Daddy. This past Saturday, Will and I had our first Donuts with Daddy. We are going to do this every Saturday from now on. I think it is going to give me a great opportunity over the years to get to know Will better, for him to get to know me better, for us to talk about whatever he wants, and for me to impart certain lessons and display certain behaviors that he needs to see from his dad. (In case you are curious, I am going to do Dates with Daddy when Cate gets a little bit older. The dates can be as simple as ice cream, smoothies, whatever. Without ever telling her what I am doing, I want to model for her the way she should expect to be treated by a man.)
I am happy to report the first trip for Donuts with Daddy was a success. It was really cold outside (low 30s/high 20s). So Will and I talked about the weather and why it changes and how our behavior changes because of the weather (like the clothes we wear). I also made sure to go over with him the things he needs to learn to play basketball (ok--I might have already been working on this). As Will likes to say, "I shoot it, I pass it, I dribble it, I rebound it." And then I tell him after he learns those four, he has to cover Daddy and learn how to play..."Defense!"
Weather and basketball--I think that is a really successful first trip. Oh, and he enjoyed the donuts just a little bit:

We go again on Saturday morning. I'm working on a topic. Any suggestions, gentle readers?
I have a few ideas:
ReplyDeleteInverse ratio of capitalization to debt in Micronesia.
History of Sooner Football Part 1: The Forest Geyer and Pop Ivey Years
Scipio Africanus
Of course, if you are looking for something a little less stimulating you could discuss the different musical instruments and the sounds they make. I recommend this video as a supplement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILI3s7Wonvg
-Uncle Bobby
What a great idea! I think this Saturday you should delve into the intracacies of the tax code - it will totally negate the sugar rush from the donuts!
ReplyDeleteWhy Batman is a better hero than Superman (it's because he's human and not invincible).
ReplyDeleteFundamentals of the 3 point stance.
Why the sky is blue.
And Bobby's suggestion on Peter and the Wolf.
Your choice.
- Uncle Brian
I retract my previous suggestions and amend Uncle Brian's suggestion that you teach 3 point stance to Will to you teaching him the fundamentals of throwing mechanics so he can spend his career being protected by guys like Brian and getting the glory/ladies/money.
ReplyDelete- Uncle Bobby
I think you ought to talk to him about how great his Aunt Tooter is and how he should play baseball. :) Love you!
ReplyDelete