Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A New Normal

Today began a new stage in the life of our family of four--I went back to work. Over 3 1/2 years ago we made the decision for me to stay at home with Will (and then Cate). I always say I fell into it backwards because it was never my intention (nor was it something I was necessarily against). I was in a job that for us wasn't going to work, not to mention the fact that I was pretty miserable there, and the job market didn't have much to offer at the time. That decision could not have been a better one. Has being at home full time had its ups and downs? Absolutely, but I wouldn't trade the last few years with my babies for anything.

While I wasn't looking for a job per se, I always keep my ears open for good opportunities. When a part-time position (25 hours per week) came up at our church/school it just felt right. While I have set office hours, they can be flexible when needed, and I can change them as our lives/schedules change. This summer I'm doing 7-3 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, but in the fall when the kids get back into school two days a week that schedule might change. While my new job as Safety Director is not a legal job in and of itself, my legal training is definitely a major asset as I deal with Safe Environment compliance and other risk management/liability issues. Today was only day one, and although it went pretty smoothly (minus Billy's last minute run to the store for batteries for one of Cate's lovies to prevent a meltdown) I know there will be an adjustment period. The kids are used to having me around 24/7, and Billy now has them on his own three mornings a week from the time they get up until he leaves for work (well, maybe not since Cate's rising time keeps creeping earlier and earlier!).

On a side note, I promise pictures of the new house soon. As you can imagine, life has been nuts, but we're making a little progress each day. Cate's birthday party is at our house on Saturday, so I guess I better kick it into overdrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment