Potty training--another time in life where in hindsight I realize how much easier life was before. About 3 1/2 weeks ago Will started potty training. Though he had been reading potty books, using the potty before bath time and before bed time, and wearing underwear for very short stints, we finally made the official switch to pull-ups and big boy underwear.
Overall it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. First of all, I did not think Will would poop in the potty since he had never done it before, but he did it on day 1 (might have been the lollipops he gets when he does so). Public restrooms are a whole other story--I'm not a huge germophobe, but trying to lay toilet paper on the seat while yelling at both kids who are touching every possible surface in the restroom is exhausting! We try to avoid them if we can, and Will is pretty good about "holding it" until we get home. He definitely prefers to go at home as well where he can strip down and read books (yes, he prefers to be naked or at least just have his shirt on if possible--he usually wants the bottoms off). Another low moment--changing dirty (not wet) underwear at the park. Yes, it's gross, but yes, it happens, especially when little boys are playing and don't want to take a potty break. A high point, Will stayed clean and dry the entire drive down to El Campo last weekend and back a few days later (more on that trip in a later post). Getting both kids out of the cart full of groceries for a potty break at the store is sure not fun, but the high fives we give and the proud look on his face after a successful potty break are both priceless.
In short: Is he potty trained? No. Are we getting there? Hopefully. [Next step is getting him to actually tell me he needs to go which will hopefully reduce accidents--right now I just make him take breaks periodically which works most of the time.]
While I know that some day Will is going to kill me for posting this picture, I couldn't resist!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





I am loving this picture. Too cute. The potty training sounds stressful. I hope y'all get there soon. Then it will be time to train Cate! ;)
ReplyDelete